The practice of medicine concerned with pregnancy, childbirth and caring for and treating women in or in connection with childbirth. Obstetric surgeons perform procedures, like Cesarean sections, if needed during childbirth.
The branch of medicine that deals with the health maintenance of women and diseases of female reproductive organs. Gynecological surgeons treat disorders affecting the female reproductive organs.
Common obstetric and gynecological surgical procedures:
- Open abdominal and advanced laparoscopic and hysterectomy surgeries
- Surgical treatment of endometriosis, uterine prolapse and uterine fibroids
- Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH)
- Total laparoscopic hysterectomies
- Myomectomies (removal of fibroids)
- Tubal re-anastamosis (repair of fallopian tubes)
- Sacral colpopexies (support of the vaginal apex)
- Dilation & curettage (removal of the lining of the uterus)
- Surgical treatment of pelvic cancers
- Cesarean section (the birth of a baby through a
surgical opening in the stomach/uterus)
- Thermal ablations
- da Vinci Surgical System hysterectomies