Your Baby's Health Depends on You
For every baby, a healthy start in life is often a matter of the prenatal care that their mom receives. Mothers who receive early medical attention during their pregnancies have bigger, stronger, healthier babies.
A healthy baby should not depend on how much money you have. If you're constantly worried about finances and who will provide medical care during your pregnancy, Healthy Beginnings Plus is a program that may help both you and your baby.
There are many women in Central Bucks County who cannot afford medical care throughout their pregnancy. The mission of Healthy Beginnings Plus at Doylestown Hospital is to make prenatal care and other maternity services available and accessible to qualified applicants.
Medical Assistance income guidelines are higher for pregnant women than for the general population. Therefore, you may not realize that you are eligible for Healthy Beginnings Plus. The staff at Doylestown Hospital can help you complete the Medical Assistance application. If you are eligible, free prenatal health care is provided to you and your unborn baby.
Early, comprehensive care for a healthy pregnancy:
The Healthy Beginnings Plus staff includes doctors, nurses, social workers and dietitians. Their goal is to provide health care during your pregnancy and immediately after the birth of your baby.
Services for you and your baby include:
- Early prenatal care
- Laboratory and ultrasound tests
- Instruction on normal physical changes and common discomforts
- Instruction on what danger signs during your pregnancy that you should
report to the Healthy Beginnings Plus team
- Diet information and counseling to help you and your baby eat properly
- Childbirth, parenting and teen parenting support groups
- Prenatal vitamins
- Easy access to any special services needed
- Assistance with referrals for smoking cessation, WIC or addiction counseling
- Doylestown VN/HC provides a varied range of services, programs and
counseling depending upon patient needs, including Maternal Child Social Services
Continuous care for you and your baby:
The Healthy Beginnings Plus staff at Doylestown Hospital would like to emphasize that:
- As the child's mother, you must have an active role in your own health care
and your newborn's care.
- Early detection and treatment of any problems are essential.
- There is ongoing communication between the health care staff and you,
so that you are aware of your health and that of your newborn.
- You will receive continuous care from the same health care team.
What to do if problems arise:
The Healthy Beginnings Plus team focuses on a healthy pregnancy for you, which means ongoing assessment of your educational, nutritional and other individual needs. It also means early detection and treatment of any problems - the sooner we find out about a problem and take care of it, the better it is for both you and the baby.
If a problem does arise, assistance is always available, 24 hours a day, by calling the Healthy Beginnings Plus phone number. If your baby is born with special medical needs, Doylestown Hospital has a Level II neonatal intensive care nursery with neonatologists on site.
After your baby arrives:
After the baby is born, you will be eligible for home visits by a nurse. Normal postpartum care and baby care will be reviewed. Lactation consultants are available to help you learn how to successfully breastfeed your baby. You will also return for one postpartum visit with the Healthy Beginnings Plus staff. Referrals will be made for continuing care for your baby and for your own gynecologic (GYN) care.
Healthy Beginnings Plus serves:
Healthy Beginnings Plus serves all residents from communities in Central Bucks County. People who live as far north as Upper Black Eddy, as far south as Hatboro/Horsham, as far east as New Hope and as far west as Telford may participate in this program. Healthy Beginnings Plus is located at Doylestown Hospital, 595 West State Street (Routes 611 & 202) in Doylestown.
Directions to Prenatal Testing, Healthy Beginnings & The V.I.A. Maternity Center
1. Enter Doylestown Hospital's First Floor "Main Lobby".
Proceed past Jazzman's Coffee to the Elevators.
2. Take the Elevator to the Second Floor.
3. Turn Left as you exit the Elevator and then immediately turn Right
into the Main Hallway.
4. Walk ALL the way down to the end of hall way and on the left hand
side look for signs for Prenatal Testing and Healthy Beginnings.
The Prenatal Testing and Healthy Beginnings are co-located with the
V.I.A. Maternity Center.
For more information:
If you would like more information about Healthy Beginnings Plus, or if you would like to make an appointment, please call Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm. 215-345-2400.