The Doylestown Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation Program Phase 2 (Outpatient)
Outpatient Cardiac Rehab is located on the first floor of Doylestown Hospital (off the Main Lobby, behind Well Bean Coffee Shop)
- Phone: 215-345-2390
- Hours of Operation:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 6:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Tuesday, Thursday: 6:00 am to 10:30 am
- Starting Phase 2 varies according to your diagnosis
- Angioplasty/stent: begin 1 to 2 weeks post procedure
- Heart Attack: begin 1 to 4 weeks post event
- Open Heart surgery: begin 5 to 6 weeks post surgery
- Approval of your cardiologist: Your cardiologist will clear you to participate in cardiac rehab at a follow-up appointment after your procedure. If any problem occurs at a rehab session, either pre, during or post exercise, your cardiologist's group is immediately notified to evaluate your problem.
- Once cleared to begin the program, you will have a one-on-one orientation session. This session will include assessing your risk factors for heart disease, establishing attainable short- and long-term goals, and a review of your insurance coverage.
- The orientation is followed by the first exercise assessment (finding your starting point). This is a one-on-one session where you wear an ECG (electrocardiogram) monitor while being evaluated on the exercise equipment. Most outpatient exercise programs include the treadmill, weights, bike and/or elliptical machine.
- Impact of monitored sessions: You can decrease your risk of a heart attack and mortality by up to 50% if you complete 36 monitored phase 2 sessions. Your physicians will have easy access to review your ECGs.
- Education: In addition to exercise, education is a big part of the Cardiac Rehab program at Doylestown Hospital. It is important for each heart patient to understand his/her diagnosis and goals to prevent future cardiac events. Education is offfered one-on-one, and patients can request as many education sessions as needed.
- Goal Setting: In order to reduce your risk for future cardiac events it is important to establish goals, plans and interventions. Cardiac Rehab will help you make this transition.
- Your Cardiac Rehab Team: We have both nurses and clinical exercise physiologists who monitor and supervise your sessions. Doylestown Hospital cardiologists are very involved in the rehab progress. They review your exercise reports, aerobic function, target heart rate, progress reports, ECG session reports, etc. Your cardiology group is immediately available if needed during your session. Patients participating in our program should have a minimum of 2 cardiology appointments (pre- and post-cardiac rehab).
- Dietitians: Healthy Directions Nutrition Therapy and Counseling (located at the Health & Wellness Center in Warrington) can help you improve the quality of your diet, create a weight loss plan and achieve other desired goals. A healthier diet may lessen the need for certain medications.
- What Happens When You Have Completed Phase 2 Cardiac Rehab? We set up a final one-on-one appointment and review your progress, assess your risk factors and set new goals, plans and interventions to help you stay healthy. Many patients choose to continue cardiac rehab with a Phase 3 Program at the Health & Wellness Center.