The Village Improvement Association was the guiding force behind the founding of Doylestown Hospital in 1923, and still owns and oversees the operation of the hospital today. Founded in 1895 by a small, but inspired, group of women from Doylestown, the VIA is nationally recognized as the only Women's Club to own and operate a community hospital.
While the hospital's mission is to improve the quality of life for all members of the community, we treasure our special legacy shaped by strong, forward-thinking women committed to positive change. Today, that legacy continues with the Hear Her Heart campaign.
Nurse Elizabeth Mae Crooke, RN, comforting a newborn at the
second Doylestown Hospital building on Belmont Avenue.
Photo by Rudy Millarg, 1948